When working through the beginning stages of a new web design project, we find clients ask us a number of recurring questions. To answer these and help those of you who are unsure, we’ve put together a list of FAQs you might find useful.
1) How much will my new website cost?
Understandably, this is the most commonly asked question and also a hard one to answer without first having thoroughly scoped out the work that will be needed. This is because the needs and sizes of different websites can differ substantially.
In order for us to accurately quote for a new website you will need to supply us with some information, including:
- An overview of your business such as services, products, target market and business objectives
- Your current or intended web address
- An indication of design style, including any existing branding design
- The approximate size of the website in terms of pages and content
- The main outcome(s) of the website– why do you want to do it and what do you want it to do when it is live. For example, do you want to sell online, or do you want to promote your company?
- An idea of budget, timescales and technical considerations
- Overview of your competitors
Please don’t hesitate to call or email us to discuss your web design project and we can walk you through any details we need. Feel free to download our Project Brief form.
2) How long will it take to build my website?
Once you have provided details of how you would like your website to work our web design and development team will discuss a project timescale with you. If you require a straight-forward ‘brochure’ web design we can get you up and running in no time. If you are looking for higher levels of functionality such as a content management system (WordPress for example), e-commerce, customer logins or other bespoke features, the timescales will obviously reflect this.
The quickest way to get your new website live is to help us by providing as much information as you can from the start. The more we know the quicker and more thoroughly we can work.
Parker Design have a great reputation for producing quality work with a quick turnaround. You will be able to discuss your website requirements directly with the friendly team that will be working on it, so please get in touch, we’d love to hear from you.
3) Will I be able to change things on my website?
The majority of our clients have access to their websites through a content management system (CMS), the most popular one being WordPress. This allows clients to log in via any browser, such as Internet Explorer, to make changes and additions to the site content with no extra software required. This includes adding and updating articles and images.
CMS-based websites are considered the industry norm these days, and so we usually recommend them to our clients.
4) I don’t have any text or pictures – can you help me pull some together?
Don’t let this put you off. Parker Design would be delighted to help you in generating the site’s content. We can offer advice as well as full copywriting services, custom photography, stock imagery searches, illustrations, video, animated content and much more. See our full list of services for more information.
What’s more, copywriting and commissioned or royalty-free photography can be very cost-effective. You will probably be able to use these for your marketing and sales materials too making them even better value for money.
5) I like ‘so-and-so’s website – can you make it look like that?
It’s great to have an idea of what you do or don’t like –try to take some ideas of both to your initial website design meeting or send them to us in an email.
A crucial part of any website development project is communication – talk openly with our web team about what you do or don’t like and clearly explain why. That way you will get a website that looks and works how you want it to. And be open to ideas too – make sure the communication flows both ways.
6) Do you offer training in WordPress or other Content Management Systems?
Yes, if we integrate your site with a CMS such as WordPress, we will make sure that you are brought up to speed with how WordPress works as a CMS and also how the specifics of your site are kept updatedThis way you can start adding news stories, blog articles, home page features and additional information as soon as the site has gone live.
7) Do you build any Search Engine Optimisation (SEO) into the site?
Yes, we build all our websites with SEO in mind from the start. Areas covered include:
- Analysis of current content to identify key phrases and keywords
- Build of site using web standards that are preferred by Google and other search engines
- Consideration of page urls, headings, images, keyword density, inbound and outbound links
- We don’t use any ‘black hat’ techniques that ‘promise great results’ but deliver penalties from search engines
We can also offer advice and guidance on how to carry out SEO for yourself once your website is live, or we can help build your SEO levels on a monthly basis. The best way to do this is to discuss your online marketing strategy with our team.
8) Can I add functionality at a later date, like an e-commerce shop?
The great thing about the way we build our websites is that we can modify and ‘extend’ them. If you know your plans from the outset then we can prepare the website for future additions. Likewise, if you decide down the line you would like to add some functionality, then we can take care of that for you. Our website development team will be happy to talk through the options with you.
So there you have it – 8 commonly asked questions about website design. Hopefully we’ve answered any queries you might have had. If there is anything else you need to know then just drop us a line on 01606 882999.